Originally posted in Valkyrian Music.
I’ve been listening to this album on a daily basis for the past two weeks, trying to come up with the right words to describe it, but always ended up losing myself in the melodies and Warwick’s voice. As the album is out today, I decided I couldn’t postpone this review any longer and it was better to write it by heart – by now I definitely can do that – as pressing “play” would distract me again.
That’s what you must be prepared for when listening to this double album – to have your senses enthralled and be taken away to that place in your mind where everything will be fine. Even if you’re listening to “Psycho”, a song depicting a troubled mind reaching out to his mom.
The first CD “When Patsy Cline Was Crazy (And Guy Mitchell Sang The Blues)” comprises the electric songs, while “Hearts On Trees”offers the acoustic ones. Which doesn’t mean that the latter is less fiery than the former. Born in Northern Island, Warwick brought the high spirited Irish music in the form of the title track and “Schwaben Redoubt” (although the story here ends with death). “Disasters” is pretty upbeat too.
Living up to its title, “Presbyterian Homesick Blues” is a blues song, but not exactly sad – it’s one of those that touches your feelings. And“Way Too Cold To Snow”, despite the somewhat melancholy, is just too beautiful to stir anything but life inside of you.
In “When Patsy Cline…” you’ll find that pure, classic rock thatWarwick’s gotten us used to for years. The heavy opener “The Road To Damascus Street”, the catchy “Celebrating Sinking”, the sharp “Toffee Town”, the horn section in “That’s Where The Story Ends”… Twenty songs (plus eight bonuses!) to love.
Label: Nuclear Blast
Producers: Joe Elliott & Ronan McHugh
“When Patsy Cline Was Crazy (And Guy Mitchell Sang The Blues)”
- The Road To Damascus Street
- Celebrating Sinking
- When Patsy Cline Was Crazy (And Guy Mitchell Sang The Blues)
- Toffee Town
- That’s Where The Story Ends
- Johnny Ringo’s Last Ride
- Gold Along The Cariboo
- The Son Of The Wind
- If You’Re Not Gonna Leave Me (I’ll Find Someone Who Will)
- Ghost Town Road (bonus track)
- The Whiskey Song (bonus track)
- Tank Mccullough Saturdays (electric version) (bonus track)
“Hearts On Trees”
- Presbyterian Homesick Blues
- Tank Mccullough Saturdays
- Hearts On Trees
- Said Samson To Goliath
- It’s Way Too Cold For Snow
- Schwaben Redoubt
- The Year Of Living Dangerously
- Love Owes (bonus track)
- I Can See My Life (From Here) (bonus track)
- The Ugly Truth (bonus track)
- Hell Or Highwater (bonus track)
- Eight Bells (demo) (bonus track)